2 March 2017

Embroidered Swallows and Gem-Encrusted Jeans

I’m thrilled to be sharing this blog post at last, after an unexpected break from blogging, which became much longer than I ever anticipated. Thank you so much to those of you who got in touch to ask how I am. Please rest assured I’ve been all right. I truly appreciate your concern. Since the start of this year, I’ve received very sad news regarding several people I knew. These were unconnected things, that happened to occur in a short space of time. Even though I was not affected as directly as some others by these events, I still find myself reflecting and thinking about those who are going through hard times, and coping with a significant loss. In recent weeks, I’ve been online less often than usual, and my days have been taken up with work, chores and other everyday necessities. 

This situation, combined with frequent bad weather, meant that taking outfit pictures was put on the back burner for a while. I tried to capture some outfit photos on two earlier occasions, with mixed results. I take my own pictures, and I get so jumpy whenever anyone walks by, or if a big dog starts heading for my tripod. I’m a nervous wreck half the time! But last weekend I was able to get outside and have a more successful photo session with fewer interruptions, which came as a relief. Now I’m really happy to return to blogging and give it the attention it deserves, and keen to get back in touch with everyone. Although it seems frivolous to some, fashion is something which genuinely makes me happy and cheers me up, when other aspects of life are far from perfect.  

Moving on to the all-important outfit details. The top I’m wearing is brand new and features a striking pair of embroidered swallows, and is from Joy. In keeping with the red and blue swallows, I wore new jeans by Joe Browns, with red and blue floral embroidery covering the front pockets. The embroidery is encrusted with little gemstones in the centre of the flowers. I didn’t realise just how intricate the embroidery is, and I was even more impressed when my jeans arrived and I saw them in person. Amazingly, they fitted me just right, apart from the leg length being too long, which I expected. I saved a lot of money on these jeans, by getting them from Amazon, which had them for much less than other websites I’d looked at, and they've gone down in price even more since then. But the alteration itself was quite pricey, so that negated the saving! However, I’m really happy with these jeans, and it’s such a rarity for me to find embellished jeans in a dark wash that fit me well on the waist and leg, so it was definitely worth it. I’ve been waiting ages for a pair of jeans like this to come along, and I can’t recommend them enough. They definitely flatter a curvier shape and being a pear shape myself, I was thrilled with the fit.

When I first saw the swallow-print top on a mannequin in the shop window, I loved it but I assumed the top would be too short for me, as I always wear slightly longer tops and nothing too cropped on my upper half. But I went back later that week and tried it on, and I’m so glad I did. The shorter length of the top is ideal for showing off the embroidery on the jeans. I’m so glad I didn’t miss out on this top. Also, the top looked really familiar, and I realised it’s a dead ringer for the Stella McCartney Lorinda swallow embroidered bomber jacket from several years ago, which was beautiful and looked like this.

What do you think of this outfit? How do you feel about embellishment on otherwise casual pieces? Please let me know in the comments below. It’s always lovely to hear from you.

Lots of love Saba xx

Now to the Goths, as swift as swallow flies;
There to dispose this treasure in mine arms,
And secretly to greet the empress' friends.
                                                  -  Titus Andronicus, Shakespeare
Jumper - Joy
Jeans - Amazon
Jacket - similar
Trainers - similar
Tiger stud earrings - similar

16 comments:

  1. Saba, I am happy to see you back ... I've been wondering how you were... the weather can be difficult to get pictures in... I am sorry to hear about the losses your closes ones are dealing with... loss is never easy xox

    I like the jeans, I am pear shaped too and I love ones that fit my hips properly... the embroidery of the flowers look lovely... it's a cute touch that set them apart from a regular pair of jeans xox... Have a wonderful weekend ahead xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Launna, thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful comment. You're always so lovely.

      I'm so glad you like the the floral embroidery on the jeans. I agree, a flattering pair of jeans which fits all over is like the holy grail of fashion! It's not something I come across often, so I appreciate it all the more when I do! I bet you look fab in denim as well! I hope you're having a great weekend too. xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Saba!! It's so lovely to see another post from you, I kept checking back to see if you had one, but I'm glad you're ok now. I know you emailed to say you were, but seeing you back blogging really makes me certain you're getting better :) Sorry you had to deal with such sad times, I know how you feel. Times like that really do make you reflect on life and see how important it is, and it takes you away into a different mindset.

    It's so good to see the embroidery you were talking about too, I love that sweater!!!! The swallows are so pretty and I like how they are symmetrical too on either side. You're right, very reminiscent of Stella McCartney. Embroidered denim is huge too isn't it? I have some Topshop embroidered jeans I am styling later this month as part of their campaign. They're flowers, similar to yours!

    Also, well done on being brave with taking your photos on your own. I used to get so nervous too and I think if I had to do it alone with a tripod, I couldn't. I would be scared of everything, so I commend you there! And hopefully this horrid stormy weather we keep having will go soon and we can just focus on Spring!

    Lorna.

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorna! I was so happy to see your comment. Thank you so much for dropping by, and for your kind words of support. I truly appreciate it!

      I'm so glad you like the embroidery on the top and jeans. I'm always drawn to detailed pieces like this. I can't wait to see the embellished jeans you'll be styling in an outfit post for Topshop! What a fantastic opportunity!

      Thank you for your encouragement with taking photos. I still have much to learn, but it's essential to keep trying! Yes, hopefully the weather will be mild now, and we can get out our forgotten spring / summer clothes and give them a spin! xx

      Delete
  3. It's good to see a post from you, although sad to hear your blog break has been for such upsetting reasons. I hope that the year improves for you and your loved ones soon.

    On a fashion note, these embroidered pieces are lovely, I particularly like the jeans! I find that the cost of alterations can be really expensive too - especially now my local tailor shut up shop and I've had to use one of the more expensive "chain store" ones that does a poorer job for twice the price!

    Hope you had a wonderful weekend :)

    Away From The Blue Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mica for your lovely message and kind words of support. I really value that.

      I'm so glad you like these embroidered pieces too. It's a shame your trusted tailor has gone elsewhere. Oh I know what you mean! Those chain stores where they cut keys and do alterations are ridiculously expensive! I enquired about alterations at a small unit inside the local supermarket recently, and the prices were so high they could make your eyes water with disbelief, haha!

      I hope you had a great week and that you're enjoying the weekend so far! xx

      Delete
  4. I love those jeans! So pretty! I'm happy to see you back blogging Saba! Was thinking and missing you! I hope your year will be filled with happy news in the upcoming months. Best wishes to you and your loved ones. Take care & have a great weekend! much love xx

    http://www.crystalchiffon.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely, sincere comment Angela. I truly appreciate your kind words. I'm really glad you like the jeans! I hope all is well with you and your family as well. Lots of love to you xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Saba! Just wishing you a happy weekend!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorna! I hope you have a fantastic weekend too! xx

      Delete
  6. Sometimes we need a break from socials and virtual life,it's necessary...especially 'cause real life is much more important...I did the same with facebook...I felt very bad and I preferred to take time for myself....We spend too much time in our daily habits than we forget what's really important and necessary, I mean family and few good people...
    Hope you're feeling better!
    Hugs
    Sophia
    www.sophiasfashiondiary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophia! Thank you so much for your lovely message of support. That's very true. I can understand why you felt the need to take a break from social media, as it can certainly occupy a lot of time and mental space. I hope you're feeling better now. Thanks so much for dropping by! xx

      Delete
  7. I really feel for you and hope that things have started to look a bit brighter again! I can relate a bit as I've suffered a loss in the family not long ago and am still reeling from it. In those circumstances life is just far more important than being online and present on social media...
    You do a wonderful job of taking your own photos! I have experimented with a tripod but find it super hard to get nice shots that way. I can totally understand the anxiety though! Some dogs have no manners when it comes to unsupervised tripods with expensive camera gear ;)
    Christina ♥ https://caliope-couture.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina! Thank you so much for your lovely, sincere message. I truly appreciate your support. I'm very sorry to hear you had a loss in the family recently. That must have been tough, and I do hope you've been coping and looking after yourself, despite the stress of such a loss.

      That's true about tripod photography! I'm always impressed when I see images taken this way by bloggers who manage to look natural and make it look effortless! You made me laugh when you mentioned dogs who have no manners! xx

      Delete